Scholarship and Research Opportunities

Engaged Scholarship

The University of Minnesota is proud to advance community-engaged scholarship as a potential means by which we achieve the scholarly goals of the university and our faculty. Community engaged scholarship involves the collaboration of faculty members and individuals outside the academy in scholarly endeavors that lead to mutually beneficial outcomes and the advancement of the pubic good. While faculty members who participate in community-engaged scholarly projects are expected to demonstrate rigorous applications of the scholarship of their discipline (e.g. inquiry, formal research, knowledge generation, creative works) within the collaborative environment, the dissemination aspects of the scholarly endeavors may be non-traditional and situated more within specific community contexts (e.g. outcomes achieved with partners that promote the public good) and not solely or primarily in competitive, peer-reviewed publications.

The website of the University of Minnesota Office for Public Engagement is a valuable resource for faculty members who are interested in community-engaged research projects. This website includes Criteria for Community-Engaged Scholarship (also called Publicly Engaged Scholarship) as well as a peer-review process that faculty members can utilize to both strengthen their community-engaged scholarly projects and demonstrate the quality of their community-engaged scholarly work through a formal peer-review process.

U of M Crookston Library's Guide to Faculty Publishing

What you need to know about journal impacts, acceptance rates, peer-review status, and U of M Crookston's institutional repository.

Grants Resource Center

U of M Crookston has joined the Grants Resource Center (GRC), a service of the American Association of State Colleges and Universities (AASCU). Our institutional subscription to GRC entitles U of M Crookston faculty and staff to access tools, services, and expertise to increase their success in competing for grants from federal and private sponsors. Contact Academic Affairs for GRC log-in information.

Research Release Requests

Get information about individual credit/overload hour limits and tenure-track and tenured faculty research release time procedures.  Due to the volume of research release requests received in recent years, a single application for research release will occur each spring.  The application will be for both the fall and spring semesters of the following academic year.

Research Release Request Application Form

Sponsored Projects Administration (SPA)

SPA is the University of Minnesota system-wide office authorized to submit research proposals and receive awards from external sources on behalf of the Board of Regents of the University of Minnesota. SPA is also the fiduciary for the U on grant-related matters.