You have questions, we have answers!

If your question is not answered below, please contact us - 218-281-8531 or

Expand all

Do you need a loft kit for my room?

A limited supply of loft kits are rented on a first come, first serve basis with the signed rental agreement form. If you will be residing in Heritage Hall, you do not need a loft kit, as the beds have a built-in loft feature! Otherwise, It depends on how you want to arrange your room. Students can request a loft kit if you live in the following buildings: Skyberg, Centennial or Evergreen.

Learn more about Loft Rental Kits


What can you expect to be in my room when I arrive?

Each room will have different accommodations depending on your housing placement. 

Heritage Hall (4 person suite)

The suites are equipped with one bathroom (including a separate shower, toilet, and vanity areas), a fully-furnished living/study room with two chairs and a leg-rest (mini-storage box) and an entertainment center. Each bedroom has one mini refrigerator/freezer, two XL Twin size beds, two dressers, two desks and two desk chairs. The windows come equipped with shades.

Evergreen Hall (4 person apartment)

The Evergreen apartment has a full size kitchen including a refrigerator, range-top stove, microwave, and dish washer. The apartment also features a shared living room with a couch and two stools. The Evergreen apartment has two bedrooms. Each bedroom has two XL Twin size beds, two dressers, two desks and two desk chairs and two night stands. The windows come equipped with shades.

Centennial Hall Apartment (4 person apartment)

The Centennial apartment has a full size kitchen including a refrigerator, range-top stove, microwave and dishwasher. The apartment also features a shared living room with a couch and two stools. The Centennial apartment has two bedrooms. Each bedroom has two XL Twin size beds, two dressers, two desks and two desk chairs and two night stands. The windows come equipped with shades. 

Skyberg Hall (Traditional Room)

Skyberg Hall offers single, double & super double corner rooms. A single room comes equipped with one XL Twin size bed, one dresser, one night stand, one desk, one desk chair and one mini fridge/freezer. A double room comes equipped with two XL twin size beds, two dressers, two night stands, two desks, two desk chairs and one mini fridge/freezers. A super double corner room has more space. All room windows come equipped with shades.

Will I get an internet connection?

YES! Wireless access is available in all residence halls. If you have problems with your Wifi, contact the Computer Help Desk at

What should I leave at home?

Candles, incense, pets (fish in 5 gallon or less aquariums and service/support animals are allowed; ), explosives. Skyberg, and Heritage prohibits the use of open heated element appliances within the resident rooms. Alcohol and/or empty containers are also against Residential Life policy and should not be brought to campus.

Learn what to bring (and not bring)

See our Residential Life Policies for more info:

Can I remove any furniture out of my room that belongs to Residential Life during the school year?

No, all Residential Life furniture that is in your room when you first move-in is to belong in your assigned room at all times.

See Residential Hall, Rooms and Keys Policy

Something isn't working in my room; how do I get it fixed?

General Maintenance Requests

If something isn’t working within your room and can be addressed within a day or so, then please complete a maintenance request. If an issue has not been resolved in a timely manner, please contact a Residential Life staff (Community Adviser, Care-Taker, Area Coordinator, Desk Staff, Maintenance Staff) and we will be happy to assist with the issue.

Submit a Maintenance Request

Emergency Requests

If this issue is a crisis/emergency or could cause significant damage (overflowing flooding toilet, broken pipe), please notify Residential Life Staff immediately. Always remember that you can call:

  • Community Adviser on duty phone number (8 p.m. - 8 a.m. Monday - Thursday; 8 p.m. Friday - 8 a.m. Monday): 218-280-0571
  • Public Safety on-duty (hours vary) phone number: 218-280-4240

Wifi or Printer Issues

If you have problems with your Wifi or printers, contact the Computer Help Desk at

What's a CA?

A Community Adviser aka “CA” is a returning University of Minnesota Crookston student who lives on your floor. The Community Adviser gets special training to assist & support all students. They understand the campus resources and will encourage students to get involved. They are here to support you and help you with any questions/concerns you may have throughout the school year.

What should I do if I don’t get along with my roommate?

Residential Life does it’s best to place you based on your University Housing Contract. Residential Life will place you according to your Roommate Assignment Information. If you have someone you would prefer to be a roommate with, they must also select you on their contract. Your roommate is also based on your personal preferences and your basic applicant information.

Please consider having an open conversation about expectations in the beginning of the school year with your roommate/s.

Residential Life Community Advisers (CA) are trained to help you through roommate issues and we encourage you to try to work through them before automatically requesting a room change. Meetings and communication that are in person are extremely effective means of fixing a problem. Please talk out issues, or revisit past problems and remember a roommate agreement will help facilitate the expectations. Your CA can help you plan for this conversation.

What are Sleep/Study Atmosphere hours and when are they?

This is a policy within the Residential Life Halls to respect sleeping and studying. Therefore, the following hours have been established to promote this atmosphere:

24 hour respect hours – 7 days a week

Sleep/study hours:

  • 10:00 p.m. to 8:00 a.m., Sunday through Thursday 
  • 12:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m., Friday and Saturday

Warnings may be given to residents to inform them that the noise level is too loud. Warnings do not have to be given after 10 p.m. No stereos or sound equipment should be audible outside one’s room. The University reserves the right to confiscate sound amplification equipment for repeated or flagrant violations of the above housing noise policy. Fines will be given to those who do not respect the policy.

See Residential Hall, Rooms and Keys Policy 

Why live on campus?

Vital to any student's success at the University of Minnesota Crookston is the opportunity to develop and achieve personal, academic, and social goals. Residence halls have traditionally assisted students achieve these goals by providing not only a place to live, but offering students an extension of the classroom and providing a variety of recreational and social activities during the week and weekends. 

Research shows that students who live on campus perform better academically and reflect a higher level of satisfaction with their college experience than those who commute.

Are the halls open during holidays and breaks?

If halls will be available over semester break, it will be for an additional cost and you must register in advance to stay with the Office of Residential Life. Guests are not permitted during semester break or spring break. Halls are not guaranteed to be open over semester break.

See Residential Hall, Rooms and Keys Policy

Do I need a parking permit for my vehicle?

Yes, all students, faculty and staff must purchase and display a valid UMN Crookston Parking Permit.  To purchase a permit, please contact the Business Affairs Office in Selvig Hall.

See Parking on University Property Policy

Where do I go if I need to pay a parking ticket?

During the academic school year, when do the entrances remain open and locked?

Each hall on campus; Skyberg, Evergreen and Heritage entrance doors are open from 8 a.m. - 8 p.m. Monday - Friday. Skyberg, Evergreen and Heritage exterior doors will be locked on the weekend from 8 p.m. Friday until 8 a.m. Monday. Students’ security keys will grant them access to their respective hall. 

Centennial Hall (Main office of Residential Life) entrance doors are open 8 a.m. - 11:30 p.m., Monday - Friday. The entrance doors of Centennial Hall are open 2 p.m. - 11:30 p.m. on Saturday and 2 p.m. - 10 p.m. on Sunday. 

I have a friend that lives off-campus that is visiting for the weekend. Is there anything I should do before the student arrives?

Yes! We encourage you to please read and understand the Residential Life guest policy.

All students residing in the residence halls are responsible for their guest, the behavior and actions of their guest, as well as the use of any residence hall room while the guest is in the building or on hall property. The University may bring disciplinary action against any resident for his/her guests’ violation and policies, including but not limited to noise, alcohol possession, or damages. One guest pass per day will be issued per resident. Guests who are off campus UMC students and non UMC guests, in the halls after 10:00 pm, must be registered with the On Duty Community Adviser or the Centennial Front Desk by 10:00 pm. Failure to register your guest may result in disciplinary sanctions. All guests are not permitted in the residence halls over holiday, semester, or spring breaks. The decision to have an overnight guest and visitation of the opposite sex must be mutually agreed upon with your roommate(s). All guests may be invited to spend a maximum of six nights per semester and no longer then two consecutive nights at any one time. This includes on and off campus students. Guests who are under the age of 16 must have parent/legal guardian permission for overnight stay. Parents/legal guardians of a minor may be called if the minor is involved in an incident within the residence halls or on hall property. Failure to abide by the guest policy may result in a disorderly conduct fine imposed and removal of the guest.

Parking passes are available at the Centennial Hall Front Desk or at the UMN Crookston Information Desk in the Sargeant Student Center.

See Residential Hall, Rooms and Keys Policy

Am I required to be on a meal plan if I live on campus? How do I decide the right meal plan for me?

Freshmen students (<24 credit hours) living on campus must select one of the top two meal plans. All first semester International students living on campus must also be on a meal plan. After that first semester the freshmen rule apply. All students living on campus in non-apartments (Skyberg & Heritage) must be on one of the top 4 plans. Commuters and students living on campus in apartments don't have to be on a meal plan, but can select any plan or purchase Eagle Bucks. You submit your meal plan choice on the housing contract.  Questions about meal plans, please visit our Dining Services site.

More About Meal Plans

What does "gender inclusive housing" mean?

UMC Residential Life, in accordance with the University of Minnesota equal opportunity statement, recognizes and respects the stated gender identity of each student. Residential Life will make every attempt to provide students with safe and comfortable housing assignments in keeping with their gender identity and expression.

Learn More