When and how do I return my laptop?
On-campus UMN Crookston students withdrawing from campus or converting to online degree status are REQUIRED to return their University issued laptop computer. The University can not sell the UMN Crookston issued laptops since we are required to return them to the supplier at end-of-lease.
- If you have a UMN Crookston issued laptop computer and will not be registering for and taking a minimum of six (6) on-campus credits in the consecutive term, you must return your computer to the UMN Crookston Help Desk by 3:00 p.m. on Friday of finals week of the current term. If the computer is not returned by that date, you will automatically be assessed a $50 late fee, and a weekly charge of $31.25 will be assessed.
- Students who withdraw at any time during the term are REQUIRED to return the laptop computer to the UMN Crookston Help Desk as a part of completing the withdrawal process. We will not sign your withdrawal form until the laptop computer is returned. The withdrawal from must be signed by the UMN Crookston Help Desk manager, or the IT Director, or designate.
- Students who drop below six (6) on-campus credits during the term must inform the UMN Crookston Help Desk and make arrangements to return their laptop or temporarily retain use for the remainder of the term.
Also see: Campus Laptop Program: Issuance and Return Policy
Return of Laptop Computers during a rollover
During a laptop computer rollover, students are required to return their university issued laptop computer to the UMN Crookston Help Desk by 3:00 p.m. the Friday of finals week.
*Exceptions may include the following:
- Registered for a UMN Crookston May and/or summer term class
- Registered for a UMN Crookston summer term internship
- UMN Crookston summer employment
- UMN Crookston study abroad summer term participant
*You must make arrangements with the UMN Crookston Help Desk manager in advance. This will include a timeframe for returning the laptop computer upon completion of approved exception. If arrangements are not made, normal late fees will be applied to the students’ account.
Consequences for Students Who Do Not Comply with the Return Requirement
If a student fails to return their University issued laptop computer including power supply, it will be considered unauthorized possession of University property. An initial non-refundable late fee will be charged, and there will be a weekly non-refundable charge for up-to six (6) weeks until the equipment is returned. If the laptop computer is not returned by the end of the six (6) weeks, the student’s account will be billed for the fair market value of the laptop computer and any associated late fees. At that point, the student will have purchased the computer from the University and will now be the owner of the computer.
The student is responsible for payment of any charges associated with the laptop computer at the UMN Crookston Business Office.