Campus Emergencies Notification System

Safe-U Logo

Rapid notifications in emergency situations will be sent to faculty, staff, and students via the following channels: text, phone, and email, depending on individual preferences. All contact methods may be updated or changed within MyU with the exception of the email address, which is required.

All users are encouraged to specify their contact preferences and update their contact information in MyU.

Update my contact preferences

SAFE-U emergency messages are sent to alert students, faculty, and staff on-campus during dangerous conditions. For example, severe storm warnings, building evacuations, or equal threats of danger. While SAFE-U retains information privacy the service also comes at no charge to students. However, cell phone carrier text plan rates and fees may vary upon the current text message package assigned. 

Learn more about SAFE-U 

Also see all Campus Emergency Notification Methods


Q: I am a parent, spouse, or community member, can I get SAFE-U Notifications?
A: Parents, partners, or others interested in receiving SAFE-U Alerts may download the Everbridge app from their device’s app store (iOS or Android). When they have downloaded the app they can enter the keyword UMNSAFEU (case sensitive) to subscribe to alerts in the app. 

Q: How can I make changes to my SAFE-U Notifications, including opting out?
A: You may edit your SAFE-U preferences in your MyU profile > My Info. 
NOTE: Per Federal law, you cannot opt out of receiving notification via your University email.

Q: I moved from one campus to another. How do I get alerts for my new campus?
A: Faculty, staff, and students who have moved from one campus to another should contact to have their assigned campus updated in order to receive alerts for their new campus.