Want to help fellow students?
Complete the Writing Consultant Application form.
Writing Consultant Application
The application form will ask you the following...
- A brief explanation of interest in the position and experience with writing and/or tutoring.
- An academic writing sample of no more than 500 words. This may be an excerpt of a longer piece. The sample should be academic in nature (i.e. no creative excerpts, please).
- Tutors must meet employment criteria of the University of Minnesota Crookston, which includes current enrollment at UMC, with at least 6 credits.
- Tutors must have earned an A or B in Comp 1011 (Composition I) or an equivalent course.
- Tutors must have completed at least 1 semester of university-level education (at UMC or another institution).
- Tutors must be available to work at least 4 hours per week and attend scheduled trainings and staff meetings.
- Tutors must be willing to contribute to a friendly, supportive atmosphere and able to provide helpful nondirective and non-evaluative feedback on diverse forms of student writing.
- Tutors must demonstrate a high level of responsibility, reliability, and punctuality.
- An A or a B in Comp 1013 (Composition 2) or an equivalent course
- A cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
- A strong interest in writing across various genres (academic, business, science, etc.)
- Interest or experience in subject tutoring
Duties and Responsibilities of a Peer Writing Tutor
- Consult with tutees on a variety of writing projects using a student-led, nondirective, and non-evaluative approach.
- Participate in Writing Center publicity and outreach programs.
- Complete training in Writing Center theory and pedagogy as assigned.
- Assist in training new and returning consultants.
- Adhere to and communicate Writing Center rules and policies
- Check UMC email to receive work notifications.
- Alert appropriate staff to any missed shifts, schedule changes, or other concerns.
- Treat tutees and other tutors with respect.
- Be on time for scheduled shifts.
- Attend staff meetings as scheduled.
- Complete all required paperwork.
- Other duties as assigned by the Writing Center Coordinator or other staff.