Your University EDA partner in Minnesota
The University of Minnesota Extension and the University of Minnesota Crookston are the home for the EDA University Center, with designated funding from the U.S. Economic Development Association to bring University research to economic development concerns in Minnesota. Extension Community Economics educators located across the state connect the EDA Center to communities with economic development questions. The University of Minnesota Crookston, especially through its Center for Rural Entrepreneurship, has deep roots to the communities of Northwest Minnesota and brings its work to the people and communities there.
With current funding, which will last from 2021-2026, we will commit University resources to work with community partners on:
- advancing high-growth entrepreneurship;
- business expansion including small- and medium-sized and ethnically diverse enterprises; and,
- developing a high-skilled regional workforce.
What do we do?
Staff and faculty at the University of Minnesota Extension and the University of Minnesota Crookston:
- Engage economic developers, community and regional leaders, and state leaders to hear their on-the-ground questions and concerns
- Conduct applied research that looks at critical questions and local concerns
- Provide technical assistance to community leaders as they lead and decide
- Deliver educational presentations and facilitate community conversations about economic development
- Disseminate what we learn to those who can use the information to lead and decide