Advisers: How to handle unique situations and requirements

U of M Crookston boasts a diverse student body, which can pose some challenges for the adviser. Transfer students, student-athletes, students with disabilities, and international students all have their unique situations or sets of requirements that impact their selection of classes and programs.

Expand all

Transfer Students

Transfer students are coded NAS (New Advanced Standing) when they arrive at U of M Crookston, and may have only two or three classes from another institution, or several semesters of classes from numerous institutions. Transcripts are evaluated for course equivalency by the Registrar’s Office, but faculty members can also approve course substitutions. Students and advisers should check the student’s APAS report during their first semester of enrollment at U of M Crookston to see how their transfer credits have been applied to U of M Crookston’s program and liberal education requirements. If a faculty member approves additional course substitutions, the appropriate form should be filed in the Registrar’s Office as soon as feasible.


Faculty advisers are encouraged to consult these guidelines when advising student-athletes to ensure their eligibility to compete:

Class Enrollment Year 1 and 2

  • Be enrolled in a minimum of 12 hours each semester. This may be a combination of Liberal Education classes, electives and any major field class (even if they have declared another major).

Class Enrollment Year 3, 4 and 5 (starting with the 5th full-time semester)

  • Must designate an official Degree Program option.
  • A minimum of 12 hours each year must be towards their Program of Study (Major/Minor & General Education).
  • Any additional hours may be from any category.
  • Changes in Major/Degree must be documented and courses taken after the change must be classes for the new major option.

24-Hour Rule

  • All student-athletes are required to pass a minimum of 24 hours per academic year.
  • Must pass a minimum of 18 total for Fall & Spring (75% of the 24 needed)

If less than 12 hours are passed in the Fall:

  • Alternative one – enroll in the requisite # of hours for Spring semester, creating a total of 24 for Spring & Fall
    For example – passed 9 in Fall, then should take 15 in Spring
  • Alternative two – (Example: If passed 9 in Fall) - Enroll in 12 for Spring and take 3 in summer school

Summer school

  • May take the maximum # of hours allowed by the institution for all students.
  • But, only 6 hours may be used to towards eligibility (25% of the 24 needed)

All U of M Crookston classes taken count towards GPA calculation. Courses transferred in from other institutions count for credit but do not have an effect on CUM GPA.

Class Retakes

Class retakes may be included in the 12 hours, if :

  • The student received a failing grade in first enrollment, OR
  • A higher grade is required for the major.

0900 Classes

  • Must be considered by the institution to be prerequisites, may not exceed the institutional limit for such courses (12 credits), and should be taken during the students first year of college enrollment.
  • These classes can be taken after the first year, but may not be able to be used in calculating eligibility. After first year, student must have at least 12 credits 1000 level or higher per term.

GPA Requirements

Eligibility requirements as determined by the GPA are based on the number of credits the student has completed:

  • 0 to 47 hours—1.8
  • 48 to 71 hours—1.9
  • 72 and over—2.0

Questions regarding student-athletes should be directed to the Athletic Department Compliance Officer.

Students with Disabilities

The U of M Crookston Disability Resource Center works with qualified students across all disability groups to ensure access to all programs, facilities and services. Students must provide current documentation from a qualified professional to initiate services on campus. Services include options such as adaptive equipment, arrangements for extended time or a quiet place for exams, alternative format texts, liaison with external agencies, or other individually defined services. Disability Resources’ staff works to accommodate the needs of the students while preserving the integrity of the programs. Students who believe that they may have a disability that has not been diagnosed may seek referral assistance from the Disability Resources Office. Students with disabilities are encouraged to promptly make contact with Disability Resources once enrollment is finalized. The office is currently located in Owen Hall 270. 

International Students

International students present unique situations in advising for a variety of reasons. Faculty advisers should realize that international students are dealing with differences in language, culture, educational systems, food, and even such things as dealing with American health systems and health insurance. The International Programs office can assist advisers working with international students and provide help and support on the issues they face.

International students are required, for immigration purposes, to:

  • Be enrolled in at least 12 credits per term (undergraduate)
  • Be making progress toward a degree
  • Maintain a local address with the Department of Homeland Security
  • Have permission from Homeland Security to obtain employment in the U.S.
  • Most international students will appreciate advisers who take extra time to carefully explain program requirements and registration processes. Don’t be afraid to write things down. Ask students if they understand—they often will not even know what to ask, so try to anticipate questions and help them out. Try to find different ways of explaining something, in case the student does not understand.