Online Student Admission Options

Online students have two options for admission to UMC...

Degree Seeking

The Admissions Application Guide is the application you must complete if you plan to earn your degree at UMC. A fee of $30 is required. **

Apply Now!

Non-Degree Seeking

Online Students may also apply for Admission as a Special Student – Distance Learning Programs. This application form is for those students intending to take online courses but not complete a degree program at UMC. There is no application fee. You can also use this application form if you are undecided about completing a degree, as you may complete the full application at a later date. ***

Apply Now! PDF File Icon 

Call or email Office of Admissions if you have any questions. Once you have completed the non-degree form, please mail or fax it to the following address:

Suite-A Owen Hall
2900 University Ave.
Crookston, MN 56716
218-281-8675 (FAX)

Note: You must be admitted as a Degree-Seeking Student to be considered for Financial Aid.


Students previously registered at UMC may apply for reenrollment by completing the Request for Re-AdmissionPDF File Icon  one month in advance of the start of the term in which they wish to return. Students absent for one term or more (summer excluded) are classified as returning students. Returning students who have attended other postsecondary institutions must submit official transcripts from each previously attended institution.

Multi-Institution Enrollment

Attendance at another University of Minnesota Campus -- Twin Cities, Morris, Duluth, Rochester, and Crookston

A consortium agreement exists among the five campuses of the University of Minnesota that enables you to attend another campus. You are allowed to attend for one term during an academic year without losing your status or jeopardizing your eligibility for student financial aid at your home campus. NOTE: This policy does NOT apply to students required to complete courses offered at another UM campus as part of the degree requirements (e.g., Agricultural Education, Equine Science, Psychology). Speak with your academic adviser or academic department for more information.

Multi-institutional students fall into two categories:

  1. Students who are enrolled on two campuses for one term. (For example, you are enrolled on your home campus but want to take a distance learning course from a co-campus.)
  2. Students who want to enroll on a co-campus instead of your home campus. (For example, you want to take courses not offered on your home campus.)

UMC students who are interested in applying to attend a co-campus should:

  1. Fill out the Multi-Institution Enrollment Form PDF File Icon
    Note: Students are expected to complete the application one month before the start of the term.
  2. Send it to the Office of the Registrar:
    9 Hill Hall
    University of Minnesota
    2900 University Ave.
    Crookston, MN 56716
  3. Contact the Office of the Registrar to registrar for your courses

Financial Aid Approval - If you are receiving any grants, loans, work-study, or scholarships, you must discuss your plans with a financial aid officer. Written approval from the financial aid officer is required. Financial aid can only be used for courses in which you are registered through the University.

Tuition and Fees - A Board of Regents' policy caps tuition and fees for students at the home-campus at the 13-credit tuition plateau. If you take classes at more than one campus simultaneously, you will receive bills from each campus. You will be charged separate tuition and fees for classes taken on each campus. If the total tuition you are charged by all campuses exceeds the 13-credit tuition plateau, the amount will be pro-rated so that the total tuition charge is equal to the home-campus tuition cap. If the total tuition charge from all campuses is less than the home-campus 13-credit tuition plateau you will be billed for the full tuition amount for the credits you are registered in from each campus. If you are assessed student service fees from more than one campus, visit the Office of the Registrar at your home campus, or the visiting campus, to have one set of fees removed. The Duluth and Twin Cities campus may assess non-resident tuition rates if you are not a Minnesota resident. Residents of North Dakota, South Dakota, and Wisconsin may need to submit reciprocity forms in order to receive the reciprocity tuition rate.