In choosing courses each term, every degree-seeking student is assisted by an assigned faculty adviser. The adviser guides the student in program planning, course selection, and progress toward graduation. Adviser changes must be approved by the student's academic department or program director's office.

Your Adviser

When you first enroll in college, your academic adviser is going to want to get acquainted with you, your goals, and your expectations for your college experience. Discussions about what you hope to do in the future, which programs of study will best prepare you to meet those goals, what you see as your strengths and weaknesses, and any other issues or concerns that you may have can be discussed. There are no "dumb" questions. If there is something about being in college or preparing for a career that you want to know, then your adviser is a great person to ask.

In addition to the "big" questions like careers and life goals, you and your advisor will probably also talk about other things like what clubs or organizations you might want to join, whether you plan to work while you go to college, and certainly which courses you'll need to take each semester.

Academic Problems

If a student is having academic difficulty, the adviser will be informed, and the student will be asked to contact his/her adviser to discuss the situation. At times like this, an adviser is a great resource for information on where to get help, and how to get back on track. Your adviser may recommend a tutor, a certain course, a counselor or any number of other resources both on and off campus. The bottom line is that your academic success is important to your adviser, too, and then take their commitment seriously!

As you approach the completion of your degree or time of study at UMC, your adviser will be one of the people that you will want to keep informed about future employment or your intention to continue your studies. Whatever the "next step" may be for you, your adviser can help you work through those transfer issues or serve as a reference in the placement packet that you prepare to help you in your job search.

Changing Advisers

Students have the freedom to choose advisers. Students need to contact the Administrative Assistant for the department holding the major to change advisers. When students change majors or program areas, it is expected that students will change to an adviser in the new major. The forms are available in department offices and are to be submitted back to the department office upon completion.

Once in a while, a new student will "forget" who his or her adviser is. If this happens to you, just go to your academic department office and check with the Administrative Specialist . Once you know who it is and where the office is located, you'll need to check the schedule on the door to find out about "office hours" and when you may have an appointment. Once you make an appointment, try hard to keep it. These are people with many responsibilities. Be sure to call to reschedule if you know that you will not be able to make that meeting.

Academic advising at UMC is an important part of your academic experience, and one that we hope will be a very positive and rewarding one for you. What's our advice on how to make the most of it? In short, get acquainted, get informed, and stay in touch. Academic advising can only happen when you're involved.

Learn more about Academic Advising at UMC >>>