Financial Aid & Scholarship Information for International Students

International students are not charged non-resident tuition and fees as the University of Minnesota Crookston offers a single rate of tuition and fees to all students regardless of their residency. This results in significant savings for a University of Minnesota diploma. The University of Minnesota, Crookston, requires international applicants to demonstrate evidence of sufficient funds to cover all tuition, fees, books, and living expenses for their study at the University of Minnesota Crookston.

International students do not typically receive financial aid from the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships. Eligibility for federal and University need-based aid is limited to U.S. citizens, permanent residents, and eligible non-citizens who are living within the U.S. for purposes other than studying [i.e., eligible non-citizens with an Arrival-Departure Record (I-94) from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) showing any one of the following designations: Refugee, Asylum Granted, Indefinite Parole, Humanitarian Parole, or Cuban-Haitian Entrant.]. Students who are in the U.S. on an F1 or F2 student visa, J1 or J2 exchange visitor visa, who have Temporary Protected Status (TPS), or a G series visa are not eligible for federal and state financial aid.

International students are eligible to apply for the International Student Scholarship (under the Specialty Scholarships tab) via the online specialty scholarship application. The application open annually on October 1 and closes May 1 prior to the start of the academic year the scholarship will be awarded. 

International students may be eligible for certain private loan programs and/or the SELF Loan through the State of Minnesota if the student has a credit-worthy co-signer. There are some private education loans available to international students. Students holding an F-1 visa must apply with a U.S. citizen or permanent resident (green card holder) as a co-signer. Students may check the private lenders' websites and call their 800 numbers to speak to a loan representative for more information. The Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships will certify loans that require certification. We encourage you to review and educate yourself on various loan options at our FASTChoice alternative loan site.

Additional resources for Canadian students may be found at the Manitoba Advanced Education and Literacy

Students from India may be interested in Credila Financial Services that provides student loan options to students who have parents in India that can sign as a co-borrower of the loan.

More information for international students may be found on the International Programs website.