• Kevin Thompson advising at student in the Business Department office.

Academic Advising

Academic advising is key to students’ success at UMC.  Both adviser and advisee have responsibilities toward themselves, each other, and the advising process.  The University of Minnesota has many tools available to assist with the advising process. 

Questions on Academic Advising can be directed to Jacob Isaacs.

Academic Advising

Academic Advising

Academic advising is key to students’ success at UMC. As an adviser, you are often the first person students go to when they have questions or problems.

Although advising encompasses a great deal more than planning next semester’s classes, it does begin with academic planning. Advisers are expected to help students plan and select academic programs that are consistent with the student’s interests and abilities, and to provide information about courses, majors, the registration process, and available support. Students are assigned to an adviser by the department head, and only full-time students are assigned. Part-time students (enrolled in fewer than 12 credits) may request a faculty adviser from their program director or department head.

In addition to the academic programs they advise, faculty advisers should also be aware of the many support services offices available to assist both adviser and student in academic, career, and personal/social counseling.
Both adviser and advisee have responsibilities toward themselves, each other, and the advising process. The University of Minnesota has many tools available to assist with the advising process. Faculty and students are encouraged to become familiar with these tools and take advantage of the wealth of information available to you in your academic planning. Training sessions are usually offered each fall semester.

Adviser Responsibilities

  • Post and maintain regular office hours; notify advisees of hours at the beginning of the semester.
  • Inform advisees of their responsibilities.
  • Get to know your advisees.
  • Maintain records of advisee’s educational progress. Use APLUS to make notes, send reminders or messages to students, and keep on top of any notifications or alerts.
  • Help advisees to develop a course of study that takes into consideration their personal, educational, and career goals.
  • Answer advisee’s questions about academic policies and registration.
  • Approve advisees’ course selections.
  • Provide information about programs in adviser’s department and about college and University degree requirements.
  • Inform advisees about academic assistancecareer exploration, or personal/social counseling that is available through the University.
  • Discuss transfer, graduate, and professional school options with advisees.
  • Write letters of recommendation for advisees.

Advisee Responsibilities

  • Know your adviser (phone number, location of office, office hours, how to make an appointment).
  • Read your course catalog; be familiar with program requirements.
  • Be aware of important dates on the academic calendar; e.g. course cancellation and add deadlines.
  • Schedule appointments in advance of important deadlines such as registration. Keep your appointments!
  • Bring a tentative class schedule to pre-registration advising sessions, as well as a printout of your APAS report.
  • Prepare specific questions for your adviser and ask for contact persons on questions the adviser cannot answer.
  • Gather information needed to make academic and career decisions. Career Services can assist you.
  • Accept responsibility for informing your adviser about you and your interests and needs. Be prepared to discuss personal, educational, and career goals.
  • Seek help from your adviser when needed, and ask about other ways that you can participate effectively in the advising process.

Advising Tools and Resources for Faculty

Advising Tools and Resources for Faculty

Several online systems are available to you to assist with advising students. APLUS can give you a student’s academic record, current enrollment, GPA, contact information, suppression of information if applicable, and a whole host of other information. Mid-term notifications are recorded in APLUS, as well as financial aid eligibility, probation status, whether a student is also an athlete, pre-enrollment test scores such as the ACT, and previous institutions a student may have attended.

APLUS will also give you the capability of making advising notes on a student, recording any contacts you have initiated with the student, and noting a reason for withdrawal if applicable. Take the time to explore all the capabilities of APLUS—you’ll find it a very powerful tool.

Students can use APAS (Academic Progress Audit System) to check on their own progress to degree. These reports will show students what requirements have been met, and what remains to graduate. The system will audit a major, a minor, liberal education requirements, upper-division requirements, and total credit requirements. Students who have transferred in credits from another institution should check their reports for appropriate course substitutions in the event they need to petition a given requirement. 

The class schedule and registration is handled through MyU > Academics > Register (Shopping Cart), another powerful tool that can check for open sections of classes, search for classes being held at a particular time/day, create waitlists for highly-subscribed classes, and indicate any “holds” that may affect a student’s ability to register. PeopleSoft will also generate unofficial transcripts if a student needs one. You’ll enter your grades into PeopleSoft and view your class rosters through it.

Quick Links to Advising Systems and Resources

Resources for Students

Resources for Students

Important Dates and Deadlines

Please see the bottom of this page for the current dates & deadlines related to academic advising.  You may also view our web calendar for more.

Helpful Tools

Grad Planner
Academic Programs
Liberal Education Requirements

Year Guides

Year 1—Freshman

Inquiry and Awareness

  • Consider college as preparation for your life and future career.
  • Enroll in core liberal education courses with the help of academic advisers.
  • Improve your study skills. For special problems, such as anxiety or lack of motivation, consider an individual appointment at the Student Counseling Center.
  • Attend campus career-related activities (career fairs, job and internship search workshops).
  • Meet with your academic adviser and become more aware of the different programs available at UMC, and specific program requirements.
  • Learn to retrieve and read your Academic Progress Audit System (APAS)
  • Meet with your academic adviser prior to each semester registration.

Year 2—Sophomore

Assessment and Exploration

  • Meet with your academic adviser to review and plan your completion of liberal studies requirements.
  • Check your APAS, to make sure you are on track for graduation.
  • Check out volunteer opportunities through Service Learning.

Year 3—Junior Year

Testing Career Decision

  • Check your APAS again, to make sure you are on track for graduation.
  • Meet with your academic adviser to review and confirm that you have an acceptable plan to complete all requirements for graduation.
  • Get to know faculty, counselors, administrators, and career advisers.
  • Begin to combine reality testing with values and skills assessment.
  • Speak with faculty in your program about current trends in the field and current employment opportunities.
  • Start checking with the Career Center about starting your placement file, attending workshops about applying for jobs, and investigating potential employers on-line and reviewing the entire wall of displays in the Career Center dedicated to identifying and posting employment opportunities.

Year 4—Senior Year & Beyond

Action and Job Search

  • Check your APAS again, to make sure you are on track for graduation.
  • Continue meeting with your academic adviser and other faculty in your program about current trends in the field and current employment opportunities.
  • Continue checking with the Career Center about starting your placement file, attending workshops about applying for jobs, and investigating potential employers on-line and reviewing the entire wall of displays in the Career Center dedicated to identifying and posting employment opportunities.
  • Sign up and attend job fair.
  • Apply for graduation and attend grad fair.


Supporting Offices


Registration Information

Registration Information

Visit the Office of the Registrar's Quick Steps to Register page for more information on registration at UMC.

Grades, Notifications, Probation and Suspension

Grades, Notifications, Probation and Suspension

The University has two grading systems: A-B-C-D-F, with pluses and minuses, and S-N (Satisfactory, or No Credit). Students may receive grades ONLY from the grading system under which they have registered for a course. 
When both grading systems are available, students must choose one when registering for the course. Students may NOT change their grading option after the second week of class. Grades of C– or better are considered passing grades; a grade lower than C– will be awarded an N (No Credit).

A grade of “I” (Incomplete) may be granted under extraordinary circumstances that prevent a student from completing the course on time. The student and instructor must complete the Incomplete Grade Contract.

Students will have until three days (72 hours) prior to the student’s last final exam during the student’s next term of enrollment to complete the course requirements, at which time the completed Agreement form will be submitted to the department office. Failure to complete the requirements on time will result in a grade of F, or N if applicable.

Mid-term Notifications

Faculty are strongly encouraged to file mid-term notification of grades for their students, particularly for 1000-level classes. Students can access their notifications through their MyU > Academics” on the left side—click the “Grades” tab on top. Faculty advisers can access their advisees’ notifications through APLUS.

Advising Special Populations

Advising Special Populations

UMC boasts a diverse student body, which can pose some challenges for the adviser. Transfer students, student-athletes, students with disabilities, and international students all have their unique situations or sets of requirements that impact their selection of classes and programs.

Transfer Students

Transfer students are coded NAS (New Advanced Standing) when they arrive at UMC, and may have only two or three classes from another institution, or several semesters of classes from numerous institutions. Transcripts are evaluated for course equivalency by the Registrar’s Office, but faculty members can also approve course substitutions PDF File Icon. Students and advisers should check the student’s APAS report during their first semester of enrollment at UMC to see how their transfer credits have been applied to UMC’s program and liberal education requirements. If a faculty member approves additional course substitutions, the appropriate form should be filed in the Registrar’s Office as soon as feasible.


Faculty advisers are encouraged to consult these guidelines when advising student-athletes to ensure their eligibility to compete:

Class Enrollment Year 1 and 2

  • Be enrolled in a minimum of 12 hours each semester. This may be a combination of Liberal Education classes, electives and any major field class (even if they have declared another major).

Class Enrollment Year 3, 4 and 5 (starting with the 5th full-time semester)

  • Must designate an official Degree Program option.
  • A minimum of 12 hours each year must be towards their Program of Study (Major/Minor & General Education).
  • Any additional hours may be from any category.
  • Changes in Major/Degree must be documented and courses taken after the change must be classes for the new major option.

24-Hour Rule

  • All student-athletes are required to pass a minimum of 24 hours per academic year.
  • Must pass a minimum of 18 total for Fall & Spring (75% of the 24 needed)

If less than 12 hours are passed in the Fall:

    • Alternative one – enroll in the requisite # of hours for Spring semester, creating a total of 24 for Spring & Fall
      For example – passed 9 in Fall, then should take 15 in Spring
    • Alternative two – (Example: If passed 9 in Fall) - Enroll in 12 for Spring and take 3 in summer school

Summer school

  • May take the maximum # of hours allowed by the institution for all students.
  • But, only 6 hours may be used to towards eligibility (25% of the 24 needed)

All UMC classes taken count towards GPA calculation. Courses transferred in from other institutions count for credit but do not have an effect on CUM GPA.

Class Retakes

Class retakes may be included in the 12 hours, if :

  • The student received a failing grade in first enrollment, OR
  • A higher grade is required for the major.

0900 Classes

  • Must be considered by the institution to be prerequisites, may not exceed the institutional limit for such courses (12 credits), and should be taken during the students first year of college enrollment.
  • These classes can be taken after the first year, but may not be able to be used in calculating eligibility. After first year, student must have at least 12 credits 1000 level or higher per term.

GPA Requirements

Eligibility requirements as determined by the GPA are based on the number of credits the student has completed:

  • 0 to 47 hours—1.8
  • 48 to 71 hours—1.9
  • 72 and over—2.0

Questions regarding student-athletes should be directed to the Athletic Department Compliance Officer – currently Jason Tangquist, Assistant Athletic Director, at ext. 8424.

Students with Disabilities

The UMC Disability Resource Center works with qualified students across all disability groups to ensure access to all programs, facilities and services. Students must provide current documentation from a qualified professional to initiate services on campus. Services include options such as adaptive equipment, arrangements for extended time or a quiet place for exams, alternative format texts, liaison with external agencies, or other individually defined services. Disability Resources’ staff works to accommodate the needs of the students while preserving the integrity of the programs. Students who believe that they may have a disability that has not been diagnosed may seek referral assistance from the Disability Resources Office. Students with disabilities are encouraged to promptly make contact with Disability Resources once enrollment is finalized. The office is currently located in Owen Hall 270. 

International Students

International students present unique situations in advising for a variety of reasons. Faculty advisers should realize that international students are dealing with differences in language, culture, educational systems, food, and even such things as dealing with American health systems and health insurance. The International Programs Office can assist advisers working with international students and provide help and support on the issues they face.

International students are required, for immigration purposes, to:

  • Be enrolled in at least 12 credits per term (undergraduate)
  • Be making progress toward a degree
  • Maintain a local address with the Department of Homeland Security
  • Have permission from Homeland Security to obtain employment in the U.S.

Most international students will appreciate advisers who take extra time to carefully explain program requirements and registration processes. Don’t be afraid to write things down. Ask students if they understand—they often will not even know what to ask, so try to anticipate questions and help them out. Try to find different ways of explaining something, in case the student does not understand.

Campus Supporting Offices

Campus Supporting Offices

Advising at UMC is supported by several offices. Advisers are encouraged to send students to these offices to provide help when the adviser cannot.

Career Services is located on the second floor of Sargeant Student Center, and can provide students with assistance in selecting a major, discovering interests and aptitudes, résumé building, and job-seeking strategies.

Disability Resource Center is located in Owen 270, and can assist students with learning disabilities, physical disabilities, and other situations that may impair learning. Many students come to UMC with undiagnosed learning disabilities, and often it is the academic adviser who notices that the student may be struggling with an issue that can be helped. Referrals from advisers are always welcome.

The Office of the Registrar can provide valuable assistance with academic policies, registration issues, and probation/suspension. The office is located in the lower level of Hill Hall, and many of its forms are available there.

The Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships can assist students and advisers with eligibility questions, Satisfactory Academic Progress appeals, and entrance/exit loan counseling. Prior to changing a class schedule, students should consult with the Financial Aid office to avoid hindering their eligibility for aid by inadvertently dropping too many credits, repeating classes that they have already passed, etc.

The Student Success Center is located in Owen 270, and can provide academic assistance, tutoring, and study help for students. The Writing Center, located within the SSC, provides help with essays, research papers, lab reports, résumés, personal statements, and virtually any other form of writing. Students can make appointments with tutors and writing consultants through the SSC’s website.

Residential Life supports students in their living/learning environment in the residence halls. Often the student’s Community Adviser is one of the closest people to the student, and can bring insight into student concerns and issues.



PDF File Icon Advising Placement Form—this form is used during the student’s first advising session at UMC. It contains grade-point averages, test scores, and recommendations for classes.

PDF File Icon APAS Sample Report—points out where to find key information on the APAS report and how to interpret it.

PDF File Icon Appeals Form—used for Teacher Education ONLY.

PDF File Icon Application for Attending Another UM Campus as a Multi-Institutional Student—used for students who want to take classes from more than one system campus in the same semester.

PDF File Icon Approval for Course Substitution—used for transfer credits or to substitute a UMC course for a program requirement. Faculty advisers are strongly encouraged to submit these forms as early as possible.

PDF File Icon Change of Major/Change of Faculty Adviser—used when students want to declare a different major, which will usually mean a different adviser as well.

PDF File Icon Course Time Conflict Approval—used when a student wants to enroll in overlapping classes.

PDF File Icon Incomplete Grade Contract (electronic)—faculty members and students will fill this form out together.

PDF File Icon Liberal Education/MN transfer curriculum Advising Sheet—lists the classes that meet the Liberal Education requirements, and the number of credits/classes required in each category.

PDF File Icon One Time Drop Form (Electronic)—students at UMC are allowed to drop ONE class throughout their entire academic career here up to the last day before final exams are given. One-time drops must be processed manually at the Registrar’s Office.

PDF File Icon Registration Form—for use by students who must enroll manually. Usually this is any student on probation, or students with registration holds.

PDF File Icon Request for Special Examination Form—for use by students who wish to establish proficiency or obtain credit through an examination. The form also contains the policies governing special exams.

PDF File Icon Schedule Worksheet Form—to be used when planning a student’s class schedule. The student should bring the completed form to an advising session.

PDF File Icon Student Petition for and Exception to Administrative Policy Form—used when the student is requesting exceptions to academic standards or policies. Used most often to drop classes after the deadline, but it can be used for a variety of circumstances.

PDF File Icon Teacher Education Unit Forms—used only for Teacher Education majors; includes the application for the program, the self-reflection, appeals process, and the application for student teaching.

Additional faculty forms >>>

Additional students forms >>>

Academic Advising

University of Minnesota Crookston

270 Owen Hall

2900 University Ave

Crookston, MN 56716

PHONE: 218-281-8569