How to Participate
To participate in the Northern Great Plains Youth Institute, high school students (grades 9 - 12):
- research a global issue they care about
- write a short paper under the supervision of a teacher or mentor
Then at this event, participants will:
- Present research and recommendations on ways to solve these key global challenges in a short speech and small group discussions with statewide experts;
- Connect with other student leaders to share ideas, identify solutions to these problems and build lasting friendships;
- Explore the issues, current research and opportunities to make a difference at the University of Minnesota Crookston; and
- Interact with global leaders, innovators and entrepreneurs working to end hunger and poverty and improve food security around the world.
Papers will be evaluated by the World Food Prize Board of Reviewers. This distinguished group of educators and experts was established to mentor and personally encourage students. Reviewers write thoughtful, personalized feedback to each student who participates in the Youth Institute.